Thursday, December 22, 2005

Still Not Done


Well, I made it to PA. I was pulled over for speeding about 5 miles from the PA border, in New Jersey. I had apparently been doing 85 mph. I had realized I was going that fast, 80, yes. Fortunately the state trooper was in the holiday spirit and gave me a warning instead of a ticket. I didn't try to talk my way into the warning or show any cleavage, the guy just was a good man. It probably doesn't hurt that my last speeding tickets were over 5 years ago (2 tickets, on in CT then one in NY, same trip, same day). Isis has settled into her temporary digs well. She has to stay up stairs, my parents' cat gets the first floor, but Isis seems to be a bit lonely.

I was apparently over optimistic in my hopes that my grandmother's sleeve would be done. It isn't, it is a bit longer, but not really picture worthy. My mom's dinner runner is at row 75, but again not picture worthy. I do still beleive that everything will be done on time, especially since my grandmother will not be joining us on Christmas day.

Finally, Chrissy, my parents' cat. Chrissy is about 20 years old. We got her as a kitten, she was the runt of the litter, I was in 6th or 7th grade. I could practically hold her in the palm of one hand when we got her. I can remember the one, and only time, my mother and I gave her a flee bath (she was an in door-out door cat). When we took her out of the sink where we were bathing her she looked like a dark Grover from Sesame Street. She bit onto my arm, hard and wouldn't let go during her bath. We also had a dog, a Siberian Husky, Czar (female, so truly Czarina). Czar was unwell and limped when she got old, but even so, if Czar walked anywhere near Chris, even if Czar was completely uninterested in Chris, Chrissy would still reach out a front paw and wap Czar on the nose. Now Chrissy is really unwell. She is only about 6 lbs, scrawny, emaciated looking. She doesn't groom herself well, and she can't really stand to be brushed. Chrissy wobbles when she walks and doesn't really move around much. Worse of all though, last night she had a seizure. She was lying on a cushion and she started convulsing. It seemed to go on forever. When it finally stopped my mother held her for a little bit as she looked all around, clearly disoriented. She didn't want to be held. She didn't want to lie on her bed, she didn't want to lie on the floor. Fortunately she could stand. My mom told me this happened 2x before and afterwards she couldn't stand, so this is something of an improvement. Unfortunately what she did while standing was to walk in circles. First she circled a leg on our coffee table, then I tried holding her a bit, but she fought me a little on that so I let her down again, but she still was walking in circles. My mom held her, then after a bit let her down again, she was still walking in circles. She lay down on my foot, but when she got up, still the f*ing circles. Finally after lying some more, she was able to walk, in a wavey line back to her bed. I think we all know that it is time to put her down, but none of us can really stand the thought. I took this picture of her today lying on her bed (really a couple of cushions from some outdoor chairs). I debated with myself before taking it, this isn't the Chrissy I want to remember. Sorry for rambling.
I was going to end there, but I got up to get a tissue, and Chrissy was looking at me, I think she saw that I was crying but perhaps I am imaginin that. Anyway she stood up and was looking like she was going to walk over to me, so I went over to her and started petting her, she started purring for me, so at least she still finds reasons to purr.

5 Comments:

Blogger knitzalot said...

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this with Chrissy. It's very sad. Hopefully, she can stay well through Christmas. I'm glad you only got a warning from the cop.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! A few years ago, we lost Sandy, my 22 yr old cat. We (my family) got her when I was 5 and she too was the runt. She was the best cat ever. I know exactly what you are going through.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

((((Jeanette and Chrissy))))

1:38 PM  
Blogger Grey said...

Good luck with your kitty. It's so sad to see a family member you love so much suffer.

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*BIG HUG*
I just went through this with a cat of my own last year. Its never easy.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home