Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Grumperina's Meme

I was just catching up on my blogging from yesterday, and I thought Grumperina posed an excellent question that deserved a post here (in addition to my other post from today - below).

Most of my friends don't knit, although obviously, J does, seeing as we have a blog together! I taught my friend Holly to knit, and although she does it occasionally, it certainly hasn't become an addiction for her like it has for me. She doesn't know about my blog, although she might occasionally check it out if she did.

My sister-in-law doesn't knit and I think she thinks it's silly. She does know about the blog, but to my knowledge, has never looked at it. The vast majority of family doesn't care about it either and they think knitting is silly and antiquated. Case in point - my dad brought my felted cat bed to me at our company Christmas party and I asked him to bring it inside. He asked, "You're not embarrassed?" I don't know, maybe I should have been. I work at an engineering firm, a highly male-dominated office, but because I'm surrounded by men constantly, I feel that preserving my femininity is crucial. I don't want to basically be a man with boobs just by virtue of my choice of profession. With the exception of my job, I'm all girl.

My mom hasn't taken any interest in my knitting, although I think she's starting to more and more as she finds out about all of the people she knows who knit (she didn't know before). Also, I've impressed her friends with knitted gifts at baby showers, and her sister and two sisters-in-law also knit, so she's surrounded. Although I wouldn't call her a "modern woman" (she was a stay-at-home mom), many things about her are distinctly modern and she eschews most things domestic, i.e. sewing, knitting, cleaning, etc. She is, however, an EXCELLENT cook, and she takes good care of my father, who needs it.

My husband obviously knows I knit, as he is forced to live with hundreds of skeins of yarn and dozens of finished and unfinished projects in our 800 sq. ft. condo. He is somewhat impressed, but doesn't take much interest in it.

My friend Kelly has no interest either, although she has a close friend up by her in San Francisco who is a knitter. In her defense, Kelly has tried it and said she was "no good" at it. She always asks, "Are you still into knitting?" as if it's a phase and something that will wane one day. She doesn't know about the blog and I doubt she'd take an interest in it.

Amber, my friend in Scotland, saw me knitting a pair of socks on her last US trip, and she herself has, in the past, taken an interest in crochet, but has displayed no interest in knitting. Oh well. That's why I have you guys! And my friends at the Grove!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The story about your dad and the felted cat bed is pretty telling - is our hobby one we should be ashamed of??? That's interesting... Thanks for answering!

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you for being proud of knitting. I wore my teacup shawl to a professional party (i.e. judges and lawyers) and I didn't want anyone to know that I had knit it. I was concerned that knowing I do something as soft and crafty as knitting would somehow dimish my ability to interact with the lawyers on a professional level. I think I need to get over that.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know you have us, your friend at the Grove! Keep on trucking on Joe's bag!

Lucila

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I've become a bit of a lurker, I guess. I love reading this blog. I'm not very blog-savvy so I hope I haven't done anything wrong so far. I come from a pretty crafty family, so my fiber additions were never weird on the homefront. I'm a horrid fidgeter, so everyone knows I knit (or else I can't still). When my fellow dancers in college found out I could sew, I got roped into costumes. They were also seriously jealous of my warm-ups knit by my grandma. I didn't start knitting until a few years ago and now my whole office knows and many of my conterparts in other offices, as well as family and in-laws. I frequently knit at long Board meetings and conferences to stay awake. It never occured to me to be embarrassed by my addiction. Oops. :) I have noticed that the more I do it in public, the more closet knitters come out to me and guys are always seriously fascinated by it. I've had them keep track of my progress from meeting to meeting and they ask a ton of questions. The women tend to be the ones that ignore it or act surprised that I knit/sew whatever. I don't have a blog, but I discovered that I enjoy reading this one, which I hope is ok. So keep it up and those judges, lawyers, and engineers might surprise you with their interest.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home