Saturday, January 07, 2006

Picovoli on Life Support: Film at 11

I wish I could explain what happened to Picovoli. I swear I was paying attention as I was knitting, reading the pattern carefully, and counting as I went along. I swear I was. But at this point, it's almost as if I was reading a different pattern. I was all the way down to the point where I was to start my waist shaping, so I knit a round putting in markers where the shaping is supposed to go, and I had 8 stitches too many. Not too terribly ominous if the fit is OK, right? So I tried it on and, although, the sizing around the bust was OK, maybe a little too loose, the armholes and sleeves were really too big. J had suggested that I might have cast on too many for the armholes, so I counted, and it appeared that I had cast on a total of 8 too many. So, I knew I had to rip back 5 1/4 inches to the armholes. This did not make me happy, but I knew that if I didn't do it right away and then immediately start knitting again, this would become a permanent UFO. So, I ripped, and I began to cast on again for the armholes. I was so confused because I couldn't figure out where I was in the pattern. Nothing was making sense, the working yarn wasn't where it was supposed to be, and I was baffled. So, just for yucks, I'd figure I'd count the stitches for the sleeves, the front and the back to make sure I had the right number. Well, wouldn't you know I had 8 too many! I did two too many increase rounds. Now, I remember reading the pattern and carefully counting the number of stitches I had in each section and the number of increase rounds I had done just to be double sure. So, how did this happen? I really don't know. Obviously, I was wrong about having cast on too many for the armholes. I must have miscounted that as well, which is easy to do since I was counting columns of stitches after they had been knitted which, to me, is less of a science than counting stitches on the needle. SO, I need to rip back another two rounds (308 stitches each!) and begin again...maybe. At this point, I feel like quitting and revisiting this project later, but with the knitalong going on, I really don't know what to do. I know I am frustrated, if nothing else. I'm too frustrated even to take a photo of the damn thing.

So, on to happier things...I started Clapotis! I made sure I knitted up an entire skein of the Silk Garden so you could see the entire colorway. I wasn't pleased, at first, with the green on the bottom because, as you can see, it goes on for quite some time and it's a kelly green - not my favorite. Finally, after a while, I got some blue, and then that seemed to never end, either. Toward the top, the colors change more frequently, which I like. I think I will be quite pleased with it when it's done, which is going to be a while from now. I've started Section 3, which inolves 150 rows of 107 stitches each, but at least in each 12 row section, I get to let one column of stitches unravel, which is kind of fun. I've already done one, see?

This is going to be a very warm and cozy wrap. I'm also enjoying my Elvira shawl...tonight is our anniversary dinner so I can show it off to the world!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is such a shame about the picovoli! But apparently you are a super-fast knitter. if I were to go back that far, it would take me forever to finish it.... that being said, I should probably try mine on at this point to make sure everything is up to snuff.....

12:48 PM  
Blogger Disentangled said...

Well at least you can counter the picovoli with a lovely FO. Plus, I love that Noro!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Disentangled said...

Ok - I'm still grinning from ear to ear after our little SEXcapade. I will be posting soon. :-) I'm so glad you were there. It's no fun to be at a 50% off sale by yourself!

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart is breaking for your picovoli! But, you have to think of how gorgeous it's going to be when you are done and get right back on it. Seriously- that color is going to be fantastic on you. Don't give up!

Your clapo-to- clappy-toi clappa-towa- whatever is really great. I tried to cast on for this and quickly realized that I need to use a different cast on method. Then While I was digging out a book to figure out a different cast on method I got side tracked by another project and totally forgot about it. But I will get to it eventually.

I tried to swatch for my picovoli. Yeah. That yarn is soooo not worsted weight. To get gauge, I had to go down to a 4. And it's not overly tight or anything. So, I think I am going to pick up needles today for that. (Although, I am going to have to swatch again at the grove, since I need to buy some addi's for this and those always throw off my gauge.)

Um... SEXcapade? Do tell!

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home