Last year I began to attempt to design a triangular shawl. My inspiration for the shawl came from seeing the beautiful and oh so soft Malabrigo
Lace. I wanted to create something unique with this lovely yarn. I decided to make my triangular shawl following the top center out plan of Icarus and the like. I carefully selected my center pattern and began working on it.
After a while I decided to mix things up and switched to a different pattern. Originally, this was not going to be the border, but instead a step between the main pattern and the border pattern. I attempted to choose a motif that continued with little circle/rings, but which used them less often. As I continued though, I decided that adding another center motif would be too much, so this became my border.
Next was time for the edging, I decided that the little picots on the very edge of the edging would be a nice follow through with the other circles (admittedly, unblocked, the circles in the border don't show so well). The edging pattern departs from the knitting structure of the rest of the shawl and is knit separately and attached to the body through means of purling two together.
Now, after nearly a year of off and on knitting the shawl is coming close to completion. My edging is almost half done. The only challenge left is figuring out how to make the edging turn at the point of my triangle...