Thats about all there is to report from Boston. Have a good one!
I've been a terrible blogger lately, but I haven't had anything to share, really. I have been working on things, but they're in various states of blobness. I have blobs of knitting everywhere but nothing truly blogworthy. However, last weekend, I knit my first Herringbone Fingerless Mitt. I used Wool Cotton from my stash that seemed destined for stash oblivion until this project emerged.
Labels: herringbone mitts
After writing about how I haven't been inspired by socks for awhile, I went out and bought some Noro Kureyon Sock yarn. The start of the sock was shown in my last post. Now, I have managed to have one finished sock. I started the second sock last night. Unfortunately my toe on my second sock is going to be different than the toe on the first but I don't feel like tearing it out and starting again. I also screwed up on my guesset and heal on the first one, so I think I will correct that problem on the second. I like the stripes on these socks and the Kureyon yarn actually isn't bad to wear, and is sort of nice on the feet, in fact, I didn't want to take the sock off and wanted to wear it out right away. Of course, I did take it off because going out with two totally different socks probably wouldn't have been appropriate.
Celtic Icon continues, though it is moving slowly. I have finished the first sleeve up to the raglan shaping. Before starting the raglan shaping I need to visit a raglan shaping calculator to make sure that I do my decreases right--for those that know these things, does raglan shaping on sleeves always match the shaping on the body of the sweater?
I know have the body done, some of the hood (the cabled section) and 3/4ths of one sleeve. Hopefully, I will have an actual sweater before too much longer.During some time that I should have been working on my sweater, I finished the second of my herringbone mitts. I am very pleased with these. They are shorter than I have been making wristwarmers, but that seems to be ok. I have also managed to end them at the point where I can still knit with them on, so that is a very good thing. I wore them all yesterday and have had them on since I left my apartment today. In the center of my hands is a sock that I started yesterday. I needed a travel project, the sweater is too big.
About 2 summers ago I went on a sock kick. Basically, the focus of my summer knitting was socks and only socks. I sort of lost interest in socks after awhile and haven't knit many pairs since then. This winter I feel like I am on a wrist warmer kick. In Novemberish I knit a pair of long malabrigo wrist warmers which were inspired by Hurry Up Spring. The warmers are a bright screaming red, and very thick (worsted weight yarn thickness) which means that I can't wear them under close fitting blouses or sweaters. They are great for outdoor wear on chilly days. Unfortunately, after about a week of wear they looked very worn (the down side of malabrigo)
I got to wear my new sweater today - and I was so thrilled when I finally got to put it on:
I guess it's the nature of working on a major project like a thesis. My brain is so taken up with work stuff that I don't have any intelligence left for things like knitting. Take the Cozy V-Neck Pullover from Fitted Knits. This is probably the simplest sweater I have ever knit. In fact, I wish it had been my first sweater. There is literally no shaping anywhere except for the neckline. The sleeves get their shape from ribbing that starts on the upper arm. This means that there are only a handful of things one can screw up. The first is the aforementioned neckline shaping. The second is grabbing the correct size needle from the collection and creating knit and purl stitches. So, what did I screw up? That's right - the neckline shaping and the needle size. On the day I began knitting the sweater, I had to rip out about two inches of progress because I hadn't done the neckline increases correctly. This is because I hadn't read the pattern closely enough. Hmmm. Secondly, on that very same day, I grabbed a size 10 needle thinking it was a 10 1/2 needle. The day I started this project was clearly an unusually stressful day. When my gauge swatch turned out too small, I figured it would all work out. Oddly enough, it did. The sweater turned out to be the size I chose to make, although it fits a bit more snugly than I'd intended. All in all, though, I think this project is a success, despite my errors. Here it is, blocking:
Labels: cozy v-neck